Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Am Number Four

I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it. I had heard that it was about aliens, but I really didn't understand at that point. I wasn't necessarily excited about the film, but I still walked away without being disappointed.
I Am Number Four is based on a teen novel about a high school student trying to hide the fact that he is an alien from humans and the monsters that are hunting him.
While I won't say that I loved this movie, it wasn't a bad film, even though there were times that it seemed too Twilight-esque for me. The acting in the film was a bit rough at times and some better performances would have done a lot for this film. The special effects in the film were well done and the action scenes were pretty cool to watch (Michael Bay produced the film and you can sense a lot of his influence in some of the action moments). The story was interesting and kept viewers involved enough to last the film.
Let me expound a little more on that last statement. The pacing of the movie didn't flow well. The first 3/4 of the film was pretty slow-moving mainly because they kept building the intensity of the pace and then breaking it by throwing in some rough and drawn-out get-to-know-the-characters scenes. Not well played. But once the movie finally got going and stayed moving, the film became more engaging and fun. It just took too long to get there. The last 1/4 of the movie is non-stop action and CGI. Pretty cool stuff, really.

**Spoiler Alert**
One scene that irked me the wrong way was after John first engages the Mogadorians and then runs to save Sarah. Despite the danger they are both in, John and Sarah still find time to go down to the school and develop a whole roll of photographs in a darkroom? Seriously? No, they would have died while still waiting for the first picture to develop.
And the monster slipping on the bar of soap...well...
**End Spoiler Alert**

Overall, the film was a fun teen action flick and worth the time.

As far as questionable content:
The film bounces back and forth between kid-friendly and adult quite a bit. There are some pretty violent and scary moments in the film and it certainly earns it's PG-13 rating.

P.S. - The image in this post is copyrighted by Touchstone Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment