Friday, July 9, 2010

Avatar

I know it's been a while since I've posted a review, but here it is. I had to see this movie twice because the first time I saw it, I didn't like it. I know I'll probably be flogged for saying that because everyone loves Avatar and I'm a heathen because I didn't fall in love with it the first time I saw, bla bla bla, yada, yada, yada. Anyways, to be completely honest, I like it, but don't find it absolutely amazing. The graphics are incredible, I agree on that. But the story was just not that captivating to me. While watching the movie, my mind kept floating back to FernGully and how Avatar was basically a live-action version of it, with a little Pocahontas tossed in there. The story just wasn't original enough to match the graphics and make this a truly great film. The acting was good, but still only second to graphics. This film was basically devoted to CGI and everything else took a backseat to it. Still an enjoyable film, but not a great film.

**Spoiler Alert**
I also felt that bad guy Colonel Quaritch lasted way too long. Yes, all the things he did were meant to give you the feeling that this guy was invincible and a quality enemy, but he should have died long before he did. Getting to his death dragged on for a little too long for me. Plus, that guy basically never breathed in this movie. Every time you see him, he's holding his breath while trying to kill something... and he can hold his breath for a really, really long time - and never turned purple (or even red) once! HISHE killed him off right:

Also, that avatar almost-sex scene was bit awkward. And that's all I have to say about that.

P.S. - The image in this post is copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.

2 comments:

  1. haha, i hated Avatar. it was entertaining but i did not find it mind blowing, life changing movie of the century. james cameron already has his time and it was called Titanic...which is WAY better than Pandora land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er... I say his time was Terminator 2, or the Abyss. I hated Titanic. Maybe Avatar 2 will be the Titanic on Pandora. But, since I heard it was possibly taking place underwater, it just sounds like another Abyss to me.

    ReplyDelete