Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Lovely Bones

To sum it up, this was a beautiful and disturbing film. The filmmaking and acting employed in this film are top-notch and credible. The imagery and visualizations of the "inbetween" are stunning and the vivid dream-like interpretation is gorgeous. Like I said, a beautiful film. The acting is very real and there are some stunning performances by Saoirse Ronan and Stanley Tucci. Even Marky Mark gives a good performance.
Now, with all that being said, the film is disturbing and extremely intense. It is not a film for the faint-hearted. If you know anything about the film, then you know that the story surrounds some very dark and horrid content. The film is about the murder of a 14-year old girl (Saoirse Ronan) and the search for her killer (Stanley Tucci). The scene where the murderer catches the girl in his trap is a long, uncomfortable, and nerve-racking moment in the film. But the most disturbing element of the film is not the crime itself, but the getting to know more about the murderer through the eyes of the little girl. The murder takes place 1/4 through the movie, the last 3/4 of the film focuses on the murderer and how creepy he really is. It's always uncomfortable to get inside the mind of a slaughterer. Tucci does an excellent job portraying this killer, and his believability really contributes to the power and eeriness of the film.

**Spoiler Alert**
While it is true that the men who commit similar crimes are rarely found, I hated that he got away in this film. The end of the film tries to give you some satisfaction by showing him fall over and bounce down a cliff-side to his death, but that wasn't enough for me. I felt that his death was too simple a fate for his crimes, I wanted him to suffer. That's how you know that a film does an excellent job creating the enemy; the audience's desire to annihilate him by the end of the movie.
You know, most inmates do not take kindly to child rapists or murderers. So, if I had my choice, I would have the guy get caught, and then have a final scene where a thug walks up to him in jail and says, "I hear you been murdering little girls... I don't like that." And then just show the killer slowly looking up at the thug, trying his best to compose his fear - and cut! I would have been satisfied with that.
**End Spoiler Alert**

Overall, I really liked this film, but due to it's content, I can't say it's one that I would watch very often.

As far as questionable content:
There are quite a few disturbing images.

P.S. - The image in this post is copyrighted by DreamWorks SKG and Paramount Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment