Thursday, May 27, 2010

Secrets On The Net Aren't Secrets...

In an earlier post, Shelton asked me to elaborate a little bit on my ideas for The Legend of Zelda trilogy that I'm working on. I will, but not in depth. This brought up a point that I'd like to dig a bit deeper into. A few years back, I was watching a broadcast of a screenwriting class from Arizona State University. There was a special guest speaker that day - I apologize, but I do not remember his name - who had been working as a screenwriter for several years. Before he got into the methodology of screenwriting, he started by telling the class to keep their film ideas to themselves. He said that in the world today, information is being shared across the world at a dramatic rate, and people are looking for ideas. He related a story of how one of his film ideas was stolen when he told it to a friend and it ended up somehow being relayed to a producer. The producer took the idea and made it into a film. I think many of us have also heard of the incident with popular novelist Stephenie Meyer as well; where she emailed her ideas for a fifth Twilight book to a friend and it got posted on the Internet.
The speaker's point to the story was that ideas travel and they travel fast. He said that there are people in the film industry that are searching for ideas and they feel no qualms in hearing an idea and making it their own. The film industry is a competitive field, and creativity is being sought after with great intensity. Keep your ideas to yourself until you can have them realized in the proper way.
My point to sharing this is the idea that people don't understand that the Internet is a public place. That may seem like an obvious statement, but people seriously do not understand how accessible information is on the Internet. Just because you have to "sign in" to a website doesn't mean that everything on the site is locked. I have quite a few friends that own blogs and do not hesitate to reveal information about people and then name them specifically. That is a very stupid thing to do. You are writing something that is available to the world whether the site is locked or not. It is on the Internet, therefore it can be discovered. I mean, how often have you searched for something via Google® or Bing® and then ended up on someone's blog? It happens to me all the time. Sure, on some blogs you have to sign in to naviagate through the rest of the site, but you were still able to get to that site without signing in, right? Plus, how many stories have you heard about applicants not getting a job because the prospective employer found risky pictures on the applicant's Facebook® page? So, as I jump down from my soap box, I am telling you not to feel safe at typing your ideas onto a website and expecting them to remain your sole ideas.
How does that not affect me? Well, my ideas are strongly based off the stories created by Nintendo® and they are public already. I won't share the ideas that make my script unique compared to others, but I still can give a brief synopsis.
Most people that talk about having a film based on the Zelda series state that the film should be based off of The Ocarina of Time game, because it is the strongest game in the series with the most amount of plot. While this is true, I never liked the idea of basing a film on just one game. But one film is not enough to do justice to the Zelda series, and that is why I am writing a trilogy. The first thing I did when thinking about how to make a film off the series was to ask myself, "What is the legend of Zelda?" The game series is called that, so what is the legend? After research and lots of brainstorming, I have decided to base a lot of the film story on The Adventure of Link game; which, oddly enough, is the worst game in the series. The Adventure of Link focuses on the legend that Princess Zelda is under a sleeping curse and hidden somewhere in a castle tower. With her lies the secret hiding places of the Tri-force. I think that this is the "legend" referred to by the title and is a good foundation for the films. While this is a good beginning, my scripts incorporate pieces from all the games up through The Wind Waker game. I know it's not much, but that is all I'll tell you for now. I hope this post wasn't too long for you guys. I hope that others will begin posting their own film thoughts and reviews here soon.

2 comments:

  1. I hope to start seeing some more thoughts and reviews too! I really like to see reviews by people who will give an honest opinion on all aspects of a film {your reviews have saved us from watching bad movies so we appreciate that} and not just tell me "It was the best movie ever!". Is it okay to request a review on a specific film {provided any of you guys have seen it}? Recently we were told we absolutely had to see a few movies and I'd like to see some objective reviews about them {the person who recommended them makes me a little nervous}. The films were "The Invisible", "Taken", and "Seven Pounds." Thoughts? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Invisible is way good! I thought it was mad artistic and creative. Some people say they predicted everything, but I think they are just compensating since they didn't get what happened, lol. Taken was good, but at the same time I felt like it was just another revenge movie, with not enough events and ended pretty quick. But I feel that I'm probably alone on that, and that's okay. Seven pounds: I actually didn't quite like because it didn't have a huge range of emotions for a good actor like Will Smith to do. It had a lot of depth to it, but it didn't seem to have enough humor to it to cope and balance out the sad parts of it (I know it's not a comedy, but good writing has elements of comedy so the audience doesn't feel depressed at the end of the film). That's my take.

    ReplyDelete