Monday, May 17, 2010

Blockbuster Blunders

Hey Derek, thanks for the invite to write on your blog. I couldn’t agree with you more on your recent post about failed movie attempts, and how cool they could have been, had they only been done right. I recently saw Clash of the Titans, and sadly, the entire movie came off as just plain silly. I had pretty high hopes for it, thinking to myself that with a cast of Sam Worthington, Ralph Fiennes, and Liam Neeson—you couldn’t go wrong, but they did anyway. The best policy for watching a Hollywood blockbuster anymore is to expect it to be garbage, and then you will either be right or pleasantly surprised.
Anyway, I think if they tried to pull off The Wheel of Time series, they would suffer massively from the “Harry Potter effect.” They would consist of basic characters and plotlines only, with the rest of it cut out entirely. If the Harry Potter books got too big, I couldn’t even imagine what would happen to The Wheel of Time. I considered adapting the series myself for quite a while, until it surpassed 9 books. Before the end, it will likely hit 15 books at least, and then what could you do with it? At best it would be a TV series, but given the epic magnitude of the storyline, it would be the most expensive ever made. And whenever a TV show gets too expensive, it gets cut, no matter how good it is. (i.e. Joss Whedon’s Firefly—an extremely well made series, cut after one season due to high production costs.)
I was surprised to find out that you were adapting the Legend of Zelda series, although come to think of it, you may have mentioned it to me before at one point or another. I am curious to know a little more about your ideas on it, as I have always thought the series to be very movie-worthy myself. It seems the most adaptable version would be Ocarina of Time, or possibly even A Link to the Past as a close runner-up. Twilight Princess would make for a great sequel, but not so much as a first. What did you have in mind for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment